Thursday, July 1, 2010

how I stay out of trouble

Here's a few things I sewed this week.  An apron from a 1929 pattern using vintage reproduction 1930s fabric.  I looked for the right apron pattern for months to make this one, after buying the rest of the bolt while visiting my mom in the spring.  I love love looove this fabric.  So guess what.  The apron does not fit me.  At all.  The 'one size fits most' really means 'tall, long-waisted folks.'  It ties right over my backside, which is not where I usually secure my apron ties.  I've got two yards of this fabulous fabric left, so no worries, only three strikes til I'm out (...shopping for more fabric, that is...).

I wanted to make Elise a vintage style nightdress, but our budget kept sending me to my stash instead of the stores this week.  (Everything I made was from the stash, actually.)  I didn't have enough of this fabric left for a full nightgown, and I didn't have a pattern, either.  I used one of Elise's old costume patterns to make a chemise style top.  It turned out better than the online directions I found for an authentic chemise--this one has a better armscye.  In fact, with the drawstring at the neckline, this top almost fits me--I'll have to keep it in mind when I'm ready to sew my own linen chemise.

And last but not least, I found a free online pattern for baby pants this morning, so now I've got something to bring to the new babies at our family reunion this year.  Albin dyed the fabric a few weeks ago at a friend's house (tie dye party), and gave it to me.  There was just enough for two pairs of pants.  I also finished up the other puppet theater I started years ago, and that's ready to give to the little bit older cousins at the reunion.

1 comment:

denise said...

Great fabrics! Too funny on the monitor size of the photo it looks like the cat is hanging from the clothesline too...had to zoom in on that one for a double-check. ;P