Thursday, May 27, 2010

CSA

Elise and I woke up early this morning to work for a morning at our CSA.  We loaded up and transplanted row upon row of peppers and tomatoes, then hoed in the pea patch for half an hour.  Elise helped transplant for awhile, then ran off to play with the farmer's children.  She gets along extremely well with kids in the 6-9 age range, and the oldest girl was seven, so they had a fabulous time.  We had only signed up to come work once, but we may have to make the trek a time or two more.  (It's an hour southwest from our house, an absolutely gorgeous drive through the green valleys.)

I found this little metal object in the field while putting in a tomato plant.  My trowel was clanking on something that I  thought was a rock, until I pulled it out.  It was so muddy I couldn't tell what it was, except that it was made of metal.  I thought it was a piece of damaged farm machinery.  It's about three inches long, and pretty heavy.  No one knew what it could be (my guess is that it's part of an old toy), but it was fun to find an artifact. 

After we got home and cleaned up, we headed out into the country in the other direction to a pottery class at a friend's house.  (The picture below is the studio.)  I got to sit and knit with other moms, and Elise played with clay for two hours.  She will two more classes, then glazing time.  I think she's making bowls.

Albin was in charge of the dinner menu tonight, so when Elise and got home, he and I started cooking.  We made cornmeal dumplings, seasoned pork for sausage patties, and had corn on the side.  I thought the dumplings were great, Albin thought they were too mushy, and Karl said they were too much like polenta--he'd prefer regular dumplings.  Elise ate it all without comment because she was reading a book at the time.

Our tents are out in the backyard getting a good airing before we camp this weekend, and Karl and Albin are marking out boundaries for the badminton set.  I don't know what's next--keeping score??

On a side note, last night Karl and Albin went to Wednesday Nite at the Lab again, and Elise and I stayed home and watched Willow.  Apart from hiding her eyes now and again to something particularly gory, she loved it.  We'll watch it again soon (and have Karl watch it with us!).

1 comment:

Lynch Family said...

"Willow" is one of my all-time favorite movies.