I wish I had taken a 'before' picture of the basement before we started cleaning this week. Imagine, if you will, piles of yarn, fabric, and basketry supplies scattered among mounds of old phone bills and other paperwork. There were actually paths through it to get to the doorway of the canning cellar. Now, the floor is clear--clear, mind you! There is a seating area with a futon, rug and lamp. Things are stacked neatly on shelves, and I almost remember where I put it all, too. Aaaahhh! Yay, hot weather and Albin to keep me company in the basement while I worked. One room down, and two to go...for the next heatwave.
Albin is taking me to Tuvalu today for iced coffee and card games. He owes me for cleaning the cat box and cat sick when he was petsitting : ). It's been a great, quiet week with just the two of us all day. We didn't even drive in to the big town all week. (I needed a few things for some sewing projects, but I found everything here. Gotta love local vintage stores!)
Over the last two days, I made a handbag out of vintage fabric (the first time I was able to cut up something from my stash), a puppet theater and two sock puppets. I'm really pleased with how well the puppet theater turned out! It's from Bend the Rules Sewing by Amy Karol. The handbag was from her book as well, and I'm planning to make at least two or three other projects from her book. It's great! I had intended to give the puppet theater to my youngest niece, but I think we need to play with it for awhile : ). I will make a second one for us because with taller kids, I think it needs to be longer.
We made one batch of strawberry jam--the kind with more sugar than berries, and planned to do another with a flat of berries from our CSA. We had extra children over last night (for the other parents' date night), and we made large strawberry shakes for all of us instead and used most of the berries. Yummmm! I will make raspberry jam when they are ripe.
No comments:
Post a Comment