We are finally changing some rules around the house. Albin needs some structure and a sense of accomplishment--a visual reminder of progress. A list works well for him. He doesn't always remember what he needs to do, and having a list there helps both of us (because I don't always remember, either).
A list sort of worked for Elise, but lately has been a disaster. She is dismayed and full of despair when she sees her looong list of things to do. It has always been longer than Albin's, because she is signed up to do many more things. Last night, Karl and I had a quick conference. You know, we put both their daily do's on a list because it was "fair." If Albin had to get so much done before he could be on the computer, then Elise should have that, too. And it was fine for awhile. But, and here's the kicker, they are different. If you ask the girl, "Elise, would you like to..." and put in anything from "set the table," "make cookies," or "read a book," she is almost always going to say yes. Albin has never been that way. And that's fine. He needs a space on the list to clean the bathroom sink, we just need to ask Elise.
So she is going to have two things on her daily do list now--brush teeth and practice violin. Then she will have plenty of time for her own projects, outside activites, and to be her sweet helpful self. It's working great so far...
Right now Albin is working on his chemistry homework and Elise is making Valentine's while we wait for our butter to soften (for Valentine cookies, of course). I'm reading a great book lent by a friend, and have finally ordered a few Bookmates. With all the great books I'm piling up from the library, I will never read them in a timely manner if I can't knit at the same time.
No comments:
Post a Comment