Thursday, December 11, 2008








Elise has her scene study dress rehearsal this afternoon. The performance is next week, then she is all done with her acting class for the year. She had a hard time at first, but she really knows her scene now. I wonder if she'll want to do it again next year...

Albin has been invited to go with friends to the homeschool sledding outing. He'd rather do that than sit in Stoughton with me, so I'm going to make muffins to send along with him. There will be horde of children in that van, mostly teenage boys, and I imagine they will get hungry from sledding for a few hours.

The PeeWee party is Friday, and I still haven't come up with a costume. I'll have to look on Youtube and see what Annette Funicello is wearing in the show. Karl is going as Jambi, and if Albin does dress up, he'll be the kite. Albin has a Magic Club at the library all Friday afternoon, so we'll have to finish getting ready tonight or tomorrow morning.

We did some of our shopping yesterday for the kids at the local Resource Center. There is no place in town to buy pajamas, I'll have to get those at Target while Elise is in gymnastics tonight, but we did find some of the other things. We picked up a football, Barbie, hair clips, and the most gaudy set of play make-up I have ever seen. It's made by the company that I boycott at all other times, and the colors in it are amazingly...bright. The 5 year-old girl who had it on her list will love it. (Elise received a similar set when she was about that age, and had a fabulous time with it. I would not have bought her one, so goes to show what I know! Playing with sparkly eye shadow at age five does not seem to have affected her self-confidence at age nine.)

...Later that same day...
I did some more thrift store shopping while Elise was at scene study this afternoon. I found the perfect skirt for the Pee Wee party It was a size 24 red circle skirt, pure wool, and it just needed elastic to gather it into a 5os style and fit me better. (I also found a new winter coat for $15. Yay, I can finally zip up a coat again! I forget how many years the other one didn't work properly.) Erika is lending us a few things for Albin's costume, so he's almost set, too. We just don't know what Karl is planning to do. His chosen character is a bit elaborate, and he hasn't done any work on it yet. We'll see what he comes up with in the end--he's pretty amazing that way!

1 comment:

Mom said...

Hi Laurie,
I just read about some families pledging to buy nothing new, except for food, for an entire year. They buy second hand, make over, barter, etc. At first, the idea of Christmas gifts was puzzling then they got creative. Amazon.com has fantastic used books that look like new for really reduced price and they took things like a used basket and painted it and added some ribbon, they put things in jars. So you are in the same spirit. See you all on Tuesday. MOM